Breakfast is the hardest meal of the day to cater for when you have Candida, so here's a traditional Victorian breakfast recipe for you. It usually calls for smoked fish, but we have to stick to unsmoked.
3 medium organic eggs
350g meaty cod fillets (skinless and boneless)
1 fresh bay leaf
1 yeast-free vegetable stock cube
225g (8oz) of brown basmati rice
1 large knob of dairy and gluten-free spread
1 large clove of garlic (peeled and crushed)
1 medium onion (peeled and chopped)
½ teaspoon of ground coriander
½ teaspoon of turmeric
½ teaspoon of ground cumin
½ teaspoon of fenugreek
½ teaspoon of poppy seeds
½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
115g (4oz) of petit pois
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a pan of boiling water, cook the eggs for 10 minutes. Drain, cool then remove shells and chop the egg.
- In a large pan with a lid, lay the cod fillets and the bay leaf on the bottom.
- In a jug, make up the stock cube with 1½ pints of boiling water then pour over the fish so it is covered.
- Cover with the lid and simmer for about 10 minutes until the fish is cooked then remove the bay leaf.
- Take the cod out of the stock with a slotted spoon and set it aside in a bowl to flake for use later.
- In a sieve, add the rice. Rinse well with cold water then add the rice to the pan containing the fish stock.
- Cover and simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 25 - 30 minutes until rice is cooked.
- Brown rice is temperamental, so you can remove the lid at the end so any excess water can evaporate.
- Alternatively, you can pour in a little more boiling water, if necessary, to cook the rice for longer until done.
- In a wok or separate pan, heat the spread. Add the onion and garlic. Stir-fry on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices, seeds, petit pois and lemon juice. Then add this together with the fish and the egg to the pan.
- Warm through and garnish with a sprinkling of freshly chopped chives.